Thanks to kind folks at XDA we have instructions to root Motorola Moto G 2014 2nd generation phone and judging by the steps it is not exactly a very difficult task.
Since the Motorola Moto G 2014 2nd generation comes boot loader locked, it is mandatory to unlock it before we proceed. You will also need Motorola’s drivers installed on your computer.
Root Motorola Moto G 2014 2nd generation instructions. Also learn how to download clock work mod CWM recovery
1. I assume you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone. The first link in the post explains it.
2. Download the super SU file from here.
3. Copy the super SU file to internal SD card. Power off your phone and go to boot loader mode. You can do this by holding down power + Volume down buttons. Release when you have entered this mode.
4. Connect your phone to your computer and flash the CWM recovery in boot loader mode.
5. Then boot into recovery. Do this by holding down power + volume up button. Flash SuperSU.zip from recovery.
6. Reboot – you have successfully rooted your Moto G 2nd generation model.
In case you want to remove the root from Motorola Moto G 2014 you must restore the phone by download and flashing factory firmware.
September 18, 2014