Edward of msmobiles.com mentions not 5, but 12 reasons that windows mobile phones are better than the iPhone 3G.
Here are the reasons:
- 3rd party applications in iPhone 3G cannot run in background: only one application can run at any given time in iPhone 3G so no background running of applications possible! In Windows Mobile phone several (many) applications can run at the same time so it is possible for example to simultaneously run in Windows Mobile: a) downloading a 50 MB MP3 file with a podcast, b) IM chatting with somebody including native Skype client for windows Mobile or native Live Messenger from Microsoft, c) edit Office documents, d) browse Internet, e) make a phone call, etc.
- iPhone 3G has resolution of only 480×320 what is 2 times less than VGA (640×480) and W-VGA (wide VGA = 800×480) used in several Windows Mobile phones, what practically means: you can read more text on the display at once and everything is sharper
- camera in iPhone 3G is inferior to camera in many Windows Mobile phones: it has only 2 megapixels compared to 3 to 5 megapixels in Windows Mobile phones and it does not have auto-focus – also present in many Windows Mobile phones
- one cannot record videos with built-in camera of iPhone 3G, what is possible up to resolution of 640×480 pixels and 30 FPS (frames per second) in Windows Mobile phones
- iPhone 3G supports HSDPA of maximal speed only 3.6 MB/second, while some Windows Mobile phones (including HTC Touch Diamond) suppport HSDPA of speed 7.2 MB/second
- iPhone 3G does not have exchangeable battery that all Windows Mobile phones have, but only built-in battery so if you run out of battery you cannot replace it to prolong battery life – as it is possible with Windows Mobile phones
- original (i.e. from Microsoft) Office Mobile is built-in in each Windows Mobile phone and allows not only for viewing but also for editing of Office documents, so there is no need ot buy 3rd party software for it
- there is much more 3rd party applications (programs) for Windows Mobile: over 20,000 compared to 500 for iPhone 3G
- to make applications for Windows Mobile one needs either PC computer or Mac but to make applications for iPhone 3G one needs to buy a Mac computer – if you don’t have Mac computer then you cannot develop applications for iPhone 3G
- most Windows Mobile phones come without SIM lock so they can be used at any operator in given country and with SIM cards from abroad (important when traveling and you want to use local prepaid SIM card to avoid International roaming fees) while iPhone 3G has SIM lock and can work with only this operator at which it has been purchased
- iPhone 3G has capacitive touch-screen meaning that it must be used with fingers and that it cannot be used with stylus or fingernails (what women like)
- iPhone 3G has no physical keyboard or keypad, so users have no choice but to use virtual keyboards on the display while Windows Mobile offers phones in various form-factors, including such that have both touch-screen and a physical QWERTY keyboard
I don’t know if he is really right. Why? Here are my reasons:
- not all windows mobile have nice cameras. Not even the phones with 3MP cameras can take better pictures than 2y old SE K750
- he stresses multi-tasking heavily, but I need not stress how stable the windows mobile is in handling multiple applications. A windows mobile device will most likely crash with running all those applications concurrently :!:
- I’ve not heard any women complaining that she is unable to use the iPhone.
- Infact, it is windows mobile that is trying to mimic iPhone these days
- Third applications have just started to come up. Windows mobile is 8y old already. Obviously, windows mobile will have more applications than iPhone.
- iPhone already has started enjoying better enterprise support. It now supports MS exchange, Oracle, 3G broadband etc
- People have achived phenomenal speeds with the onscreen keyboard of the iPhone. So, this proves that if the softkeyboard is properly designed, there is no need for hardware keyboard.
- Regarding resolution, iPhone makes full use of it’s 320 x 480 display. In case of WM, it merely does the pixel doubling. Very less applications actually make full use of 480 x 640 VGA resolution.