There are two ways to recover back to factory settings:
- using restore DVD
- using restore partition
The hidden restore partition contains the restore image of the Windows XP home. To recover using this method, follow the following steps:
- disable boot booster in BIOS.
- press F9 key during the bootup
- this will make your EEE to boot into recovery console
- you will given the warning that the recovery process will delete all the data
- click on ‘tick’ button to start the recovery process. It should take about 5 minutes to complete the recovery process
commentary: this is a great step by ASUS to let the users to recover back to factory settings when they do not have access to the external DVD drives. Also, it is a faster way to get back to a working system in case something went horribly wrong with the OS.